Sunday, August 28, 2011

Real talk Best-friends can’t date

We all have friendships. Whether it’s long-term or short-term, we all engage ourselves in friendships. Awkwardly, when there is just a friendship between the opposite sexes, some say that there will always be romantic feelings on some part. Do you think this statement is true or false? And do you think that romantic relationship, which can flow out of these friendships can work out? Do you think it's wise to make the flame a firework? I asked some readers their opinions about this matter. Well, here is what they say.

"I have been in a friendship with my best-friend for more than 7 years now. She is definitely my best-friend. I respect and love her dearly. Most importantly she knows the very person that I am and always will be. However, a romantic relationship would never improve our relationship. The risk of dating your best-friend is that once the relationship doesn’t work out romantically, the friendship ends. Therefore: best friends can’t date."

Harold B. London -- United Kingdom

"Falling in love with your best-friend is the best! Not to exaggerate with this statement of course, but what better foundation is there to build a relationship on than the one with your best friend? She knows you, you know her. If both parties are open to it, why not? After all, our means on this earth is to find happiness in this cold world. It is true, that a lot of times one party gets feelings for the other. And most of the time, it’s the men."

Lucinda Boateng -- London, UK

"I have had a relationship with my best-friend for 3 years. We were friends before for 2 years. The reason why we broke up is because I wasn’t particularly honest within the relationship. We were such good friends that she trusted me and gave me enough space. That enough space was enough for me to cheat on her. It happened once. My cautions got to me and I told her after 2 weeks. She friend let me go. According to her, we couldn’t keep honesty. Now, I haven’t seen her for months. I say that falling in love with your best friend is dangerous. Cause if the relationship doesn’t work out, the whole friendship is no more. That is the hardest part. I miss her. To me, she is the perfect fit."

Kevin Y. Toronto -- Canada

Thank you, readers for sending in your opinions. Thanks for the insight. Out of these stories, I can conclude that having a relationship with your best-friend can work out. It depends on the situation, time and of course the people involved. We make relationship, and at least one party can single handily break one. It can work, it’s just that more is at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment